Singaporean breakthrough artist Yung Raja has been dubbed as Southeast Asia’s next avant-garde bilingual hip hop artist, known for his tasteful unification of Western and Tamil culture in his lyrics.
Yung Raja found viral success in Southeast Asia following the release of his debut single “Mustafa”. His second single, “Mad Blessings”, caught the eyes of Lupe Fiasco and M.I.A, and was the first English-Tamil song to be played on Malaysia’s leading Malay Radio Station, Era. His third single “The Dance Song”, also gained traction in multiple markets and garnered media attention in Singapore, Malaysia, and India. The track has since accumulated over 6 million views on its official TikTok challenge. Three tracks in, the rapper has already amassed over 5 million Spotify streams on Spotify and more than 3 million views on YouTube. This led to Shtambi being signed by Alamo Records – a joint venture label of Interscope Records/Geffen, based in the United States.
Lauded for his formidable command of English-Tamil rap, the visionary rapper is on the move to confront the industry with his seamless bilingual delivery and distinct amalgamation of cultural references as a starting point for celebrating inclusivity in society. Born and raised in Singapore, Yung Raja aims to reinvent societal views both within and outside his homeland, to inspire the next generation of cultural conservators, and to elevate Southeast Asian hip-hop to world-class stages through his music.
• Discovered on Twitter which led to his appearance on the 16 Baris cypher show.
• His debut single Mustafa catapulted him to fame, making him an overnight viral sensation.
• Featured on VICE Asia, Yo MTV! Raps Asia (host for two consecutive seasons), Hype beast, Brown Girl Magazine, NME Asia, Vogue and many more.
• Garnered over 5 million combined views for 3 songs on YouTube and over 5 million streams on Spotify.
• Worked with brands spanning BVLGARI, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, and is an Adidas creator.
• Appeared on the cover of Esquire Singapore (May 2020), Men’s Folio (November 2019 & December 2020), T Singapore, and featured in Harper’s BAZAAR, ELLE Singapore, and Female Magazine.
• Won the Asian Academy Creative Award for Best Lifestyle/Entertainment Presenter and Host for his work on Yo! MTV Raps in 2019.
• Named in NME ‘100 artists to watch’ list in 2021.
• Winner at *SCAPE Youth Music Awards 2021 for Rap Artist of the Year and Rap Single of the Year (The Dance Song)